You're Shopping
Nature's Select Houston
Change Location
toggle menu
You're Shopping
Nature's Select Houston
Change Location


Common Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Common Poisonous Plants for Dogs


Spring is here and as we venture out to the local plant nursery, here are a few common plants that should be avoided in our pet friendly space.


Sago Palm 


The Sago Palm is an extremely poisonous plant to dogs when eaten.  It will cause Bloody vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure and death, usually within 24 hours. 




Oleander bushes are popular and colorful flowering shrub in the Houston area.  It’s cardiac Glycosides, like digoxin, are very toxic to dogs and can cause Fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, bloody diarrhea, incoordination and vomiting.




This very popular Easter plant is also poisonous to dogs.  Its toxins can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.




The Cyclamen is a common household flowering plant with poisonous properties (Terpenoids) to dogs.  It can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, heart abnormalities, seizures and death.




The Azalea Trails are a common welcoming of Spring in Houston, but ingestion of just a few of the Azalea leaves can cause oral irritation with subsequent vomiting in dogs.  In some sever cases, ingestion can cause a drop-in blood pressure, coma and even death.




The entire tulip plant is considered toxic to dogs, but the bulb is the most poisonous.  Eating the bulb van cause sever mouth and throat irritation, excessive drooling and nausea. 




The Daffodil plant, like the tulip is toxic to dogs and like the tulip, the daffodil bulb is most toxic.  Eating any portion of the Daffodil plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, arrhythmias, convulsions and a serious drop in blood pressure.




Dieffenbachia is a very common house plant that can cause oral irritation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting in dogs.  It can also create a burning sensation of the lips, tongue and mouth.




The Kalanchoe, also known as Mother in Law plant is a common house plant with pretty small dense flowers.  When ingested it can cause vomiting and diarrhea.  In rare cases heart arrhythmias can occur from the poisoning.


A little research and planning prior to going to the plant store can prevent a very scary situation for you and your pet.  Better safe than sorry!